A wheelbarrow is a small wagon with one wheel and two handles at the rear part. The word “wheelbarrow” is composed of two words which are “wheel” and “barrow.” “Barrow” comes from an Old English word “bearwe” which means a tool used for carrying loads. Do you have a garden? If so then you definitely need a wheelbarrow. It is an important garden tool that can save you time and effort as well as prevent any injuries. Nowadays, there are a lot of choices that are available. Typically, a standard wheelbarrow can be very useful in most gardens. However, if you have a big garden with an uneven surface or steep slopes then you may require a versatile one. Choosing the best wheelbarrow can be challenging since there are various styles and brands on the market right now. Here, we will present to you some of the top rated wheelbarrows with the best features. One of them might be the one that you’re looking for.
Different Wheelbarrow Styles
1. Mid Wheel – Wheelbarrows have been used by Europeans, however, it was actually invented by the ancient Chinese. The ones being used by the Europeans has the wheel out in front while the wheelbarrow used in China has a wheel in the middle. Since the wheel is placed in the middle then it can carry more weight compared to the European style. Nowadays, most of the wheelbarrows that are used have one wheel in the middle.
2. Extra Heavy Duty Front Wheel With Front Braces – This type of wheelbarrow is perfect for the bulkiest and most laborious workloads. They are highly durable so they can be used for commercial and industrial tasks. There are different sizes that are available depending on your particular workload.
3. Wheelbarrow Cart – This is very useful when transporting materials around the garden. You can use it for carrying bags of compost, hauling ornamental plants or mulch. Using a wheelbarrow cart can minimize the stress on your lower back and shoulders.
Wheelzbarrow Three Tire Wheelbarrow
With 3-pneumatic tires, 6 cu. ft. metal tray, rear mounted braking system
United General WH89685 Steel Tray Wheelbarrow
20 gallon steel tray, wood handles, 14-inch pneumatic tire
WORX Aerocart Multifunction Wheelbarrow
volume capacity: 3 cu ft, flat-free tires, fold-out extension arm
Bosmere W302 Folding Wheelbarrow
Easily folds away, three storage pouches, solid wheel tire
Marathon Yard Rover 70015 Wheelbarrow
Easy to assemble, rust-proof, two 13-inch tube-type pneumatic wheels
Polar Trailer 8449 Heavy-Duty Wheelbarrow
With shielded ball bearings, rugged rubber tires, heavy-duty cart
Jackson M6T22 Contractor Wheelbarrow
16 inch tubed tire, heavy duty steel tray, with front braces, "H" brace
Lifetime 65034 Two Wheel Wheelbarrow
2-year limited warranty, 6.5 cubic feet capacity, two treaded wheels
Radio Flyer Kid's Functional Wheelbarrow
Real wood handles, steel undercarriage, seamless steel tray
Ames True Temper Contractor Wheelbarrow
16" tubed tire, tough total control steel handles, 6 cubic foot poly tray
Wheelbarrows are not only used by gardeners but also by landscapers, construction workers, and others. In these reviews, we will provide you detailed information on each product so you can choose the one that’s best for the tasks that you have in mind. Whether you are a green-thumbed novice or an ace landscape artist, using a wheelbarrow can surely make your gardening task a lot easier. Carrying and dumping of soil, leaves or mulch can be done quickly.
1. Wheelzbarrow Three Tire Wheelbarrow
Wheelzbarrow Three Tire Wheelbarrow is the best wheelbarrow. It consists of three wheels, making it easier to push regardless if it is fully loaded. This wheelbarrow can easily roll over in an uneven terrain and big bumps. You just need to push down the rear handle so that the front wheel can climb up.
Weight: 50 lbs
- A braking system is installed on the rear portion.
- It has a huge curved handle.
- This wheelbarrow gives you a perfect balance to prevent any spills.
2. United General WH89685 Steel Tray Wheelbarrow
The United General WH89685 is the most affordable wheelbarrow. Although it might not be the biggest wheelbarrow, however, it is durably built and has a very reasonable price. It’s an excellent choice for a typical gardener. It looks brilliant in bright red. They’ve done a good job in painting this product and it looks like it can hold up excellently over time.
Weight: 38.4 lbs
- The handles are made of solid wood.
- It has a durable metal undercarriage.
- This wheelbarrow uses a huge 14″ pneumatic tire.
3. WORX Aerocart Multifunction Wheelbarrow
WORX Aerocart Multifunction Wheelbarrow is a cheap wheelbarrow that is multi-purpose. Although this may not be the best wheelbarrow or the best dolly, yet it’s very flexible and it can be used as both. It’s an excellent tool that can also be used as a snow plow or a wagon kit.
Weight: 48.9 lbs
Load capacity: 300 lbs
- It has a well-balanced patented design.
- No maintenance needed since it uses flat-free tires.
- This wheelbarrow has the capacity to haul up to 300 lbs of loads.
4. Bosmere W302 Folding Wheelbarrow
The Bosmere W302 Folding Wheelbarrow does not require too much space since it can be folded up. This is an ideal choice if you only have a small yard since it can be used for gathering leaves, twigs, and other featherweight loads. The downside is Bosmere W302 is not appropriate for heavier loads.
Weight: 14.3 lbs
- It includes pockets which can be used for storing tools.
- When folded up, it only measures 13″ wide.
5. Marathon Yard Rover 70015
The Marathon Yard Rover 70015 can be assembled quickly. Bolts are included. There are three colors that you can choose from. It is made of a rustproof poly plastic tray that can endure any abuse. This wheelbarrow has a load size of five cubic feet. The only fault of this tool is that it will likely flex whenever you will dump a hefty load.
Weight: 34 lbs
- It has a padded loop-style handle.
- The frame is made of powder-coated steel.
6. Polar Trailer 8449 Heavy-Duty Wheelbarrow
The Polar Trailer 8449 Heavy-Duty Wheelbarrow is ideal for heavy loads since it has a load size of 7 cubic feet. It measures 50x28x29 inches. No matter if it is fully loaded, it can still balance properly. This wheelbarrow uses wide rubber tires that can manage all types of terrains. The only drawback is its handle has no padding.
Weight: 35 lbs
Load capacity: 400 lbs
- This tool is ideal for carrying rocks and logs.
- It uses shielded ball bearings.
7. Jackson M6T22 Contractor Wheelbarrow
The Jackson M6T22 is a high-quality contractor wheelbarrow that has a load size of 6 cubic feet. One of its notable features is its long solid wood handles that can let you maneuver easily regardless if you have hefty loads. It has a heavy gauge steel tray that can last for a long time. The disadvantage of this wheelbarrow is its instructions are not finely illustrated.
Weight: 20.7 lbs
- It uses a ribbed tire which can be pushed easily.
- All the components in this tool are made of high-quality materials.
8. Lifetime 65034 Two Wheel Wheelbarrow
The Lifetime 65034 Two Wheel Wheelbarrow has a load size of 6.5 cubic feet. It can handle any type of jobs. This wheelbarrow is very stable with less tipping, thanks to its ultra-wide wheelbase and low point of gravity. Its frame is powder coated and weather resistant.
Weight: 48.85 lbs
Load capacity: 550 lbs
- It uses heavy duty tread wheels making it easy to roll over on any types of terrain.
- Dumping can be done quickly due to its tapered design.
- It can lighten your load and it can last longer.
9. Radio Flyer Kid’s Wheelbarrow
The Radio Flyer Kid’s Wheelbarrow is specially designed for kids to have fun. This is a sturdy wheelbarrow that includes a robust steel undercarriage which has the ability to support heavy loads. The handles are made of real wood which looks chic and authentic. Your kid will surely appreciate getting one of this.
- The steel tray is stable and safe.
- The wheel is sturdy enough and can easily roll over on different terrains.
10. Ames True Temper Contractor Wheelbarrow
The Ames True Temper Contractor Wheelbarrow is dual wheeled and has a load size of 8 cubic feet. It is rustproof and easy to push. This is a heavy-duty wheelbarrow that has two hardwood handles. It is safe for kids since it uses phthalate and BPA-free materials.
- Its robust pneumatic tires can handle different types of terrain.
- It is very stable and has a heavy-duty construction.
- You can easily clean it using soap and water.
- This wheelbarrow can be assembled right away.
Extra Recommendation: Wheelbarrow Tire Replacement Wheel
Marathon Flat Free Wheelbarrow Tire
The Marathon Flat Free Wheelbarrow Tire can suit most wheelbarrows. It can fit different sizes and it can never get flat. This tire has a ribbed thread making it easy to maneuver in any terrain. It has the ability to handle a load capacity of 300 lbs. It comes with an adapter kit.
How to Choose a Wheelbarrow
If you have a small yard, a wheelbarrow may not be used more often. However, for those who have a bigger yard, these one-wheeled carts are definitely essential. If you’re shopping for a wheelbarrow then most likely you will be overwhelmed by the heap of choices that are available. So, what important traits should you consider? Here are the basics:
Although, vintage wood wheelbarrow may still exist, yet most wheelbarrows buckets that we’ve seen nowadays are made of steel or plastic. If you are planning to use it for heavier loads then the best choice is steel. But be sure to store it properly since it can be prone to rust. For light gardening, the best choice is plastic. It’s not only easy on your back but it’s also easy on your wallet. Although, it is not prone to rust, but it can crack when loaded with heavier objects or due to severe coldness. Some canvas wheelbarrows can be folded and easily stored in a garden storage. However, this is not designed for heavy gardening work.
Traditionally, a wheelbarrow only consists of one wheel and it is placed in the center portion of the front. It is designed this way so that it will be easier to maneuver and dump, however, you need more strength to control it. Wheelbarrows which have two wheels are appropriate for heavier loads and are more stable. However, you have to sacrifice the maneuverability. They are not also best on hills.
The traditional models have straight handles for excellent maneuverability. It is also easier to flip, tilt or dump, however, it requires more strength. Closed handles are much easier to pull.
Wheelbarrows which have pneumatic tires needs to be pumped up just like bicycle tires. It can give you a smoother ride but they are also vulnerable to rough terrains. Additionally, you have to pay attention to its air pressure because it might go flat. Tires which are made of solid rubber will never go flat but they can’t give you a smooth ride. The in-between is a semi-pneumatic tire, which is a rubber tire with built-in air pockets. It provides you with some shock absorption but it does not need inflation.
Wheelbarrows may look the same but they actually differ in a lot of things. When shopping for a wheelbarrow, always consider the tasks that you are planning to do and the terrain. Also, the maintenance and the storage space. After making your decision then it’s time to go planting! Do you know that you can plant trees even if you have a small garden?